History of the Quincy Garden Center
The lovely Victorian home on the property was built in 1893 by Mark “Pat” Munroe and his wife, Edith Adelaide Walker. When Mr. Munroe has the house built, he wanted a functional home to accommodate his large family. The house was built with heart pine in a simple unadorned style. The house features many outstanding architectural highlights such as stained glass windows, ornate mantles and plaster ceiling medallions. The property encompasses nearly two acres and is enclosed on the south side by a white picket fence, just as it was in the early days of the twentieth century. The yard is landscaped with azaleas, camellias, magnolias and live oaks. The descendants of Mark Welch Munroe Jr. and Ruth Bailey Munroe recently enclosed the backyard with a decorative brick wall, patio and pergola to enhance the garden for weddings and entertainment.
Mr. “Pat” Monroe
Mr. Munroe was the son of William Munroe, an immigrant from Inverness, Scotland. Mr. Munroe was a prominent & respected Quincy businessman. He served for fifty years as the president of the Quincy State Bank, the first state chartered bank in Florida. He is credited with bringing wealth to Quincy by an early interest and investment in Coca Cola & urging others to join him in the investment.
Edith Adelaide Walker was the sister of one of Mr. Munroe’s Emory University classmates. Together they had ten children before her death in 1896. He married for the second time in 1912 to Mary Frances Gray. Eight children were born of this marriage. Mr. Munroe died in 1940,and his widow, Mary, continued to live in the house until her death in 1972.
The Home Today
In 1974, John Bates, grandson of Pat and Edith Munroe, purchased the property. Mr. Bates donated the house and grounds to the City of Quincy for the cultural benefit of the community. The Munroe house has served as the Quincy Garden Center since 1975. In October of 2008, the house was dedicated as a historic home and placed on the State of Florida Registry of Historic Homes.